Friday, December 14, 2012

Photojournalism and cell phone photography go hand in hand

New artwork on display in the courtyard of the Performing Arts building
on the Toledo campus of Owens Community College.

As students, one thing that our instructors as well as the professional photographers we have met have tried to teach us: “the best camera to use is the one you have on you”. There are many times when I do not have my DSLR camera with me. I do however have my cell phone, with its built in camera with me at all always.
          As a photojournalist this mobility is useful when there is a need to capture an image right here and now. Some of the examples I have seen used were of fires and car accidents.
Two views of the flowers along the Old West End at daybreak.
          Professional photographer Scott Hall expressed; often he prefers to use his cell phone camera because it allows him to blend in. “People don’t pay attention to me when I use my phone. I’m just another guy taking a cell phone picture. The minute I pull out my camera people start to take notice.”



The Christmas tree in the Winter Garden inside the downtown library  Toledo, Ohio
 Cell phone cameras have increased the ability of photojournalist such as myself, to capture key moments and share them with the public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment